quick fix + tag i'm it
this photo has nothing to do with the post, but what's a post w/out a photo? i just added elastic to my green shoes that kept falling off my feet. i couldn't be happier. elastic is an underrated substance me thinks....
so i was tagged by my fellow oakland artist katrina ... and i haven't done a meme in awhile so here goes... i'm not going to tag anyone, but if you want to play along, please consider this a tag
1. what were you doing 10 years ago?
wow. can i think back that far?? 10 years ago i was working for a gallery in down town san francisco. i was making some drawings that would lead to the work that i used to apply to grad school with. we were just starting to think about looking for a house for ourselves and out pets because we were going to loose the house we were renting.
2. what are five things on your list to do today?
1. catch up on emails
2. order flowers and a book for folks
3. finish mending a target for an upcoming show
4. write a blog post
5. work on my syllabi for upcoming classes
3. snacks you enjoy
lately i've been VERY into popcorn. i can't seem to get enough. also loving all the peaches, plums, apricots and berries that are in season. and yogurt. i've been on a serious yogurt kick. almost one a day. [if i'm feeling indulgent i'll allow myself a cream top yogurt. yum]
4. places you have lived
by far this is the most boring aspect of my life. i'm a california girl. i was born and thus lived in tuscon, AZ, but really i've only lived in los angeles, santa barbara and the bay area - berkeley and oakland
5. what are 5 things you would do if you were a billionaire
oh this is hard.... that would open up so many things..... ok let's give it a whirl.
1. i would buy a building and set up a non-profit art space with a gallery and artists studios - all the rent would be subsidised and below market rate. i'd have facilities for the artists to use [like a wood shop, foundry, etc]. i'd also set up an outreach for youth - offering afterschool classes to supplement the non-existent art education in schools.
2. have my mom and dad totally retire [unless they wanted to do some kind of work for "fun"] and send them on a very long all expenses paid trip to where ever they wanted. AND either buy them a home [and make it really green] or update their current home anyway they desired. [i know my mom wants hard wood floors]. sort of along the same lines i'd do the same for me and my husband in terms of housing. either move or greenify our current house [and i guess it'd be easy to build a studio in my yard now with that kind of cashola]
3. buy lots and lots of art from struggling emerging artists that deserve support
4. support good causes like animal rescues, finding alternative fuel sources, organic farming, cultivate some bee hives
5. go on vacations to all the places that i've dreamed of seeing and never have [paris, morraco, berlin, vietnam, spain, portugal, sweden, etc. etc. etc.]
i think this list could get longer....
been thinking a lot lately about things UNDER the surface. things that you can't necessarily see, but are there. for all of us. and how little things - things that you can wear [like rings], or smell, or see - can remind you those you love, miss, or memories....
go read the jargon of authenticity by eireann. i love her thoughts on language and the words we choose to use....
back on friday with a show announcement!