meanderings

freedom from used cars

on the road to the opening last thursday. i spotted some escaped balloons. luckily my camera was out and i snapped the pic at a red light [no snapping while driving] - but b/c it was a hasty photo there's a lot of funny stuff in it. i rather like this. another check for happy accidents.

six weeks of drawing a day

six weeks of drawing a day were on display at the gallery. it was a really interesting and well-curated show. lots of different takes on drawing including animation and a "missing" drawing. the space itself is really gorgeous.

crossing the line

i also got to discover the work of wendy crittendon:
wendy crittendon

i am totally inlove with the pillow drawing. i want to draw pillows now. [i guess drawing beds isn't too far off, but pillows. oh pillows]

john casey has some great install shots of the whole show on his blog . it was too crowded for me to get good shots.

for gabriella

a friend just had a little girl. over the weekend i made these little felt booties from a martha stewart pattern . i hand sewed these, but you could easily production line them with a sewing machine. the possibilities seem endless - color combos... little embroidery or felt add ons.... i could spend all day making them. really.

today i cleaned up part of the studio. it was getting SO messy in there. not good for working. tomorrow [thanks to veterans day] i get a whole day in my studio. i need to start work on a very big bed drawing. right now it's like 7-8 feet long and 40 or so inches high. it will be a challenge to work this big - but i'm excited. i also want to include some 3D elements.... i think i picked out the bed i want to draw...

i think it's time to shut the computer.... see you soon

Comments

Anonymous said…
Having just watched the Red Balloon, your first photo in this post made me smile. The photos that followed had me longing to travel to see the exhibition in person.

Sleep tight, and I look very much forward to seeing those pillow-inspired drawings,
g xx
Jan Halvarson said…
i would love to see some pillow drawings from you!
Anonymous said…
oh lisa! I loveeee the look of the show! I really really like the idea of new perspectives in drawing! so cool!!!! and those booties are AMAZING!!!!! AND! A BIG BED?! Can't wait to see it!!! AND, I've emailed you twice and they keep bouncing back to me, I'm not sure if I have your address correct?! That's a lot of ANDS for you :) Have a fantastic night!
Anonymous said…
Good luck with your enormous drawing... sounds fun to me too. xo lj
MWM said…
that balloon photo is just gorgeous. There is something about balloons in the sky...
all of your recent shows are making me think you really need to do a show HERE:)
xo
your new drawing sounds enormous and that would scare me, but you, you're always on top of a challenge. i admire you so much lisa.

hooray for those escaped balloons that found their way into your view.

and i like the idea of a missing drawing, i wonder where it meandered to?

have a fabulous studio day today :)
Anonymous said…
isn't it great discovering a new artist who's work you love?
it's one of the best feelings.
it always gives me a rush.
and i love those booties!
i'm definitely going to try and make a pair or two...
Esti said…
balloons always make me smile... good that you could take the picture... cool...
i like those pillows too and the exhibit looks good; i'd love to see how the subject of drawing was developed there...
Lucky you to get to work in a big scale painting... I miss that
:)
Katrina said…
the martha stewart pattern is adorable. the little dots at the top of the ankle are so so wonderful. and that balloon photo is a happy accident, for certain. i love all the reflections and layers all working together at the same time. lovely...
molly said…
love how you can see your smile in the photo.
and ohmy! those booties! wow!
Anke said…
I told you before on flickr, but I have to say it again - I'm totally smitten with the booties. And your new avatar. And the header...your art makes it look like a sunrise...or sunset? Beautiful no matter how you look at it.
Sam said…
I love the picture of the balloons. Do I see the image of a child in the reflection of the window? I think that just gives the image more meaning.

But I have to admit I feel a little sad for the balloons. They want to escape so badly I think.
Anonymous said…
Looks like a wonderful show lisa, I love the type on the wall. Your felt booties are super-cute, love all the detailing.
Anonymous said…
Oh yeah, and I love that balloon shot!
Cecilia Levy said…
what an inspiring blog you have! love your artwork.
amisha said…
those little shoes just made my heart melt :) so cute.
and those balloons... hurrah for happy accidents, absolutely. i love all the little bits happening in that image... it truly feels like a fleeting moment captured.
xox
wendy said…
such great layers with that balloon photo. & wendy crittendon's pillows are lovely.
super fun booties.
oxooxxo
Marieke said…
Those booties are just perfect!!! lucky friend x

Popular Posts