a domestic life {04} + happy girls day

happy girls day!

it's girls day today. a japanese holiday. [you can read more here ]. when i was a kid we set up dolls every year. my japanese grandma made them. i loved the fact that there was a day for girls [there's one for boys too]. and i loved setting the dolls up. they were too precious to play with, but i was in awe of their clothes. there's always an emperor and empress and if you have an extended set then their servants and food. little sculptures of pink and white mochi - perfect instruments - lanterns, etc. my mom says she will be giving me the set i grew up with for our little girl. she brought the above dolls to start us out for today.

elephant

i made the elephant ! i made his ears stick out a bit more. this one we're keeping. a little present for girls day. hopefully cc will like it....


a domestic life :: 04 :: xmastree

installment 4 of a domestic life...
gotta give credit where credit is due. the dots totally remind me of laurie reid . click on her colored pieces/dots portfolio.

i think this one is my favorite page so far [ha! of all 4 pages]

it is pouring rain here. i think it's supposed to be raining all week. time to bundle and hole up....

Comments

Anonymous said…
what a beautiful tradition to pass along to your sweet girl.
Anonymous said…
Happy day after Girls Day! Such a beautiful tradition. I lovelovelove having girls. Sweet elephant. And I'm digging the bokeh painting. xo
Anonymous said…
i love the dots. so great. happy girls day to your little girl. ;) that elephant is a sweetheart.
Anonymous said…
happy girl's day!
that sounds like the perfect holiday :)
that elephant is so great.
hope you are doing well.
Anonymous said…
Happy girl's day (I love these unique cultured festivals). The dolls are beautiful, as is the adorable elephant! I thought I was seeing things, is that a Christmas tree in March?! Beautiful page.
Anke said…
I was fascinated by Girls Day when I read about it the first time - wonderful! Love love love the elephant and your christmas dots...
Deirdre said…
I love love love that Christmas tree! Instantly recognizable. I want to make one now! Watercolor + pencil eraser?
Anonymous said…
Yes, my favourite, too. A restrained explosion of colour!

And, that wee elly... what a honey for your sweet CC.

xo
Anonymous said…
P.S. Happy girl's day! How brilliant.
Esti said…
the paired picture and dots have an outstanding effect. I like it a lot. And the elephant too; so well made...:)
Girls day sounds fun, but on the other hand it's almost girls' day everyday at home... ;)
Jan Halvarson said…
Your mom sounds so sweet, sweet to bring that over for you and cc. Happy Girls Day (belated) - I never heard of this - what a beautiful tradition. I'm sure cc will love the elephant. And your dots too are my favorite so far! Hope you are well!

Popular Posts